29 December 2008

Best Albums of '08: Blitzen Trapper - Furr

Like Fleet Foxes, Blitzen Trapper's Furr owns much in places to the folk rock of Neil Young and Bob Dylan. Now, I have some fondness for Young and Dylan, and I appreciate their unique genius (in fact, I'll celebrate Young's in another post). But I never expected to find this current wave of nouveau folk-pop to be so appealing. I confess, it is. This album did not make it onto all the "Best of" lists, but it probably should have. I especially like the title track, which sounds amazing Dylanesque, from lyrics to vocal style to song structure, but neverthess is fresh and very fetching. But not to mislead, most of the tracks are more retro-rock and folk rock than folk. As evident from the very first track, comparisons with the Grateful Dead are fair enough.

No comments: