21 November 2008

"We Blew It": A Republican Obituary

Conservative pundit P.J. O'Rourke, never short of words, has nevertheless let it all out in this fantastic post-mortem of the Republican Party's spectacular self-immolation. I now consider myself an independent caucusing with the Dems (makes me sound like Joe Lieberman, blech), and I am very enthusiastic about Obama, but I would love to return to the GOP. Or better, I would like it to return to me. I agree (most people would) with O'Rourke that the GOP is utterly lost, and this is a magnificent mea culpa. Read it all, but here is a snippet:

    Where was the meum and the tuum in our shakedown of Washington lobbyists? It took a Democratic majority in the House of Representatives 40 years--from 1954 to 1994--to get that corrupt and arrogant. And we managed it in just 12. (Who says Republicans don't have much on the ball?) Our attitude toward immigration has been repulsive. Are we not pro-life? Are not immigrants alive? Unfortunately, no, a lot of them aren't after attempting to cross our borders. Conservative immigration policies are as stupid as conservative attitudes are gross. Fence the border and give a huge boost to the Mexican ladder industry. Put the National Guard on the Rio Grande and know that U.S. troops are standing between you and yard care. George W. Bush, at his most beneficent, said if illegal immigrants wanted citizenship they would have to do three things: Pay taxes, learn English, and work in a meaningful job. Bush doesn't meet two out of three of those qualifications.

No comments: